FALL SEASON UPDATE

FALL SEASON UPDATE

SPORTS WITH FLORENCE

We’re nearing the end our fall sports’ seasons, and an update on how they’re doing is inevitable.

The boys’ football team is at a steady 4-3 record, after starting off 1-3 and having the area wondering if they’re really what they’ve been talked up to be. This past week they played the New Brighton Lions at Beaver Area High School, and it was another easy one ending with a final score of 57-7. However, the next two weeks are the most crucial games of the season, playing the Mohawk Warriors and the Beaver Falls Tigers. Both teams are known as the better teams in the conference and will be significant in playoff seeding.

Mikey Crawford(1) hits New Brighton’s Jayden Salada(3). (Skyler Silver)

Individually, two names that pops out on the stat sheet are freshman quarterback Jaivin Peel and wide receiver Dorian McGhee. Peel currently sits at No. 10 in the country for passing yardage by a freshman and is No. 18 in the state for all classes. He’s most recently broken the WPIAL record for most passing yards in one season for a freshman (2,119) and has two more games to add to that record. Dorian McGhee is currently the runner-up in the WPIAL in receiving yards, and surprisingly within the top ten he also has the least number of receptions.

Receiver/defensive backs Mikey Crawford, Dontay Green, and Chris Kirkland have also been key components within the passing game and secondary, allowing less than 150 passing yards in the past four games combined. The Golden Beavers have won their past three games by a margin of 158-7, and plan to keep running up the score for the rest of the season.

With pink out as the theme, Western Beaver travels to compete with the Mohawk Warriors on Oct. 20 for what possibly could be the conference championship. This is under the scenario that the Warriors beat the Neshannock Lancers in week nine. Tickets will be available at the gates and breast cancer awareness themed accessories will be sold at the game, come support your Golden Beavers!