THE SIREN

The Student News Site of Lincoln Park Performing Arts Charter School

THE SIREN

TAYLOR SWIFT BROADENS HER VISION WITH “SPEAK NOW (TAYLOR’S VERSION)

TAKE NOTE

In light of Taylor Swift announcing her fourth re-recorded studio album 1989 (Taylor’s Version), it feels like it’s appropriate to review her most recent re-recording, Speak Now (Taylor’s Version). 

Initially, I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect from this album; I’m not the largest Taylor Swift fan and never really listened to her music outside of the radio. But the opening track, “Mine,” immediately displayed the songwriting ability you hear often about Taylor Swift.

You made a rebel of a careless man’s careful daughter.

During the opening track “Mine”, this line easily stood out from the rest. What I interpreted from it was that she grew up with a careless father, whether that’s from issues with her mother, or father/daughter issues with her. Growing up with this experience, she’s become very careful, telling herself that she won’t fall for a man and become a victim of those things. Although throughout the song it’s clear that she’s taken that risk.

It’s always great when an artist tells a story that’s easy to interpret and visualize. So those who don’t directly experience the feelings of the lyrics can put themselves in the shoes of the writer, through the duration of the album she is very consistent with this.

Each song carried out a similar theme, however it was carried out in such a unique way each time and portrayed wonderfully. The acoustics and production sounded just as you’d expect from an artist with 100 million monthly Spotify listeners.

Track 6, “Mean,” was the first song that I felt had a different feeling than the others. The upbeat ukulele kept me engaged for the whole duration of the song and it felt oddly motivational. “Someday, I’ll be living in a big old city… And all you’re gonna be is mean.” Swift boasts that after splitting up with the guy this song is about, she’ll move and flourish while he won’t change for the better at all.

My personal favorite song was “Haunted.” It’s one of the few Taylor Swift songs that’s been in my playlist for quite a long time now. I love the eeriness of the violin and drums clashing with Taylor Swift’s more soft-spoken voice. Stepping outside of the pop genre, this song reminds me of the band, Evanescence.

Since this album is a re-recording of her third studio album Speak Now, there are bonus songs that are added to the end of the album. Six unreleased songs were added to this album, solo songs and two features from Fallout Out Boy and Hayley Williams. Out of all six songs, my favorite was “Castles Crumbling,” featuring Hayley Williams. This may be biased, as Paramore is probably my favorite band, but the vocals felt much more alive on this song with both artists singing at the same time.

I’m sure Taylor Swift fans had an incredible time listening to this timeless album. As it’s my first time listening, I genuinely was blindsided and pleasantly surprised at this artwork. If you haven’t listened to this, I recommend it 100 percent.  If you’re into meaningful heartfelt lyrics with catchy production, I recommend it even more as it’s probably the perfect type of music for you.

*tyson meter goes on a 0-10 scale, 0-4 being nearly or completely unlistenable, 5-7 in the “maybe listen to this” or “this is kind of good” range, and 8-10 being genuinely good I recommend this*

FINAL RATING: 8.75/10