THE SIREN

The Student News Site of Lincoln Park Performing Arts Charter School

THE SIREN

AM I KENOUGH?

FLIP FEATURE
Sandra Gabriel
Blonde-haired Barbie doll

This movie did something very hard. It truly mainstreamed women and their issues on a scale never seen before. It broke the box office by presenting as a pink explosion and it left its viewers with tears in their eyes.

We’re not here to discuss statistics however. We’re here to discuss the very serious and very adult review of this movie.

I LOVED IT! This movie is what cinema is meant to be. Heartfelt, detailed, and full of a diverse and interesting cast of characters. It showed the march of feminism through both Gloria (American Ferrera) and her speech as well as the tiny bit of progress Ken (Ryan Gosling) made in finding himself and where the rest of the Kens belonged. The movie worked through tough subjects with an air of humor tying it all together. And the humor wasn’t overbearing. It wasn’t all serious with comic relief and it was a comic with serious relief. It was a good mix.

In this movie, Barbie (Margot Robbie, Issa Rae, Kate McKinnon, Alexandra Shipp, Emma Mackey, Hari Nef, Sharon Rooney, Ana Cruz Kanye, Ritu Arya, Dua Lipa, Nicola Coughlan, Mette Narrative, Marisa Abela, Lucy Boynton, Joelle Dyson, Grace Harvey, Olivia Rebecca Horton, Daniela Marin, Chanel Stewart) shows us that she is everyone and everyone is her.

And Barbie can be anything!