LPPACS AFTER THE PANDEMIC

SOME PREDICTIONS ON THE FUTURE OF LINCOLN PARK AND REMOTE LEARNING

June 17, 2021

No matter who you are, a member of the LPPACS community or not, COVID-19 has remodeled the world as we know it from an infinite amount of perspectives. In a reality where the world shut down for those beginning months of the pandemic (and further), things were pushed under rugs and waited on. That is, until we knew we could come out of the dark.

Background

Lincoln Park Performing Arts Charter School has been a place of opportunity and sanctuary for students across Western Pennsylvania since it’s opening in 2006. Due to the lack of enrollment at the original public school on the land plot, Lincoln High, the local government initiated the construction of LPPAC and LPPACS. Even now, students all around apply to pursue a field of interest or talent more closely. Lincoln Park was, and is, hope, no matter how one views what came to be and how.

Generally, the past few years have been LP’s all-time high in my opinion. Based on enrollment levels, scores, and just general perception from the point of view of a non-student at the time. But as all schools were this past year, communities took a step back. All schools had to figure out where to go from where they were at the time of the first major outbreak. It is debated if the way Lincoln Park handled it was/is the right way. That aside, how these changes will affect the future of LPPACS and LPPACS education are the answers I am searching for.

Predictions 

Though this is my first year as a LP student, perseverance in our administration is one of my most vast observations thus far. Lincoln Park in my eyes has always been a place of success and strong ability. I don’t think any pandemic could change that, but I think the way we come to be successful in this institution is up for alteration as a result. For example, opportunity through online learning, more virtual presentation of all things, and more. I think all of this will add to us and our horizons as a school community.

Hopefully, next year we will have less restriction and more room for hands-on learning.

“The general protocol has changed in that there is a different kind of emphasis on safety. The school is always committed to protecting its students, but with COVID being a real threat, we have changed how we interact with our students and how we develop and implement lessons.” stated middle school Writing and Publishing teacher, Mrs. West, when asked what has changed about culture, protocol, and the future of education here at LP after this year.

However, I don’t think it would be wise to eliminate the availability of remote learning. Remote learning is a very controversial idea in itself, but from my experience there are many benefits and I would really dislike it no longer being an option. I feel many of my fellow students would share this opinion. I predict that online learning may still be an option alongside fully in person next school year, with that masks and distance from person to person may be subject to change.

“These new protocols have changed the culture in that we aren’t as close as we used to be (literally), but the faculty, staff, and students remain committed to learning and to their respective majors. I can’t speak to future education except to say that I think we will be seeing the effects of COVID on learning for years to come,” Mrs. West stated further.

In conclusion, no matter what is on its way for us as a school, LP will continue to evolve and do what it does best, regardless of all circumstances. The real question is, is this losing our momentum or an opening for a fresh start? With all information and answers provided, that is for your interpretation.

Photo by Chris Montgomery on Unsplash